Do you know? I can’t seem to find out who these are but they have been coming each spring for as long as I can remember. Do you know? While we’re at it, do you recognize the plant? Very popular with these guys, the bumble bees, and butterflies, too.
Archive | July 2016
Is it our baby?!
Okay, here it is for better or worse.
Here it is in pictures.
This one on the right above requires a bit of explanation. I thought I’d try cutting first and stitching later. Bad idea Even trying to be oh so careful it ended up ruffled. I did mange to fix it but did the other side correctly and you can see the difference. Now you’ve had that lesson with no pain of your own! lol
I started Crocheting around the sleeve and after a couple inches decided that that was not good so ripped and found some bias tape which I stitched on instead to make nice neat hems.
Then I found this lace collar among my ‘stuff’. I soaked it into the left-over morning coffee. What do you think? keep or lose? By the way, the color difference is just lighting.
Sometimes it just doesn’t work.
Got the Tumbling Block version of the Diamond top woven and assembled at last, after much ripping and re doing—don’t ask!— and find that it just doesn’t work. The shoulders are too sloped and the whole neckline is just too wide. I dug out a sewing pattern and as soon as I get over my disappointment and frustration it looks like this one is going to be a cut and sew project. I am not going to waste this good yarn. So check back now and then. Meantime, the only way I have come up with to enlarge the diamond top is by using the 3.5″ squares to make a side gusset.
Hope you are having better luck with your projects! Here is one I got from a new weaver in Idaho who was making it work! Jane’s first project!
I am going to post the basic instructions for the Diamond Top here. If you want a pdf you must email me and I’ll send it along. It has been very popular but you must keep in mind that this is not a one size fits all. This one was made to fit Madelyn, who is quite thin. I am working on the sizing problem and will post as I came up with options. meantime if you make adjustments to fit yourself I do hope you will share them here for the rest of us.
Above is a chart of the Diamond Top. Assemble rows vertically first then horizontally. This makes the least seams and also helps the diamonds line up nicely. The dotted lines on the front are the shoulders. Assemble front and back, fold on dotted line, and stitch in place. It works, however strange it may seem here. Then sew up the side seams
I worked a row of single crochet and then a row of reverse single crochet (crab stitch) around the neckline to stabilize it a bit. If you find it needs this and you don’t crochet (you really should learn, it’s very useful) you can sew on a bit of lace or trim for the same purpose.
The measurements are of my top for Madelyn. Yours may vary with your weaving style and the yarn you use.
One more thing, in case any of you need looms, I have posted a few misc discounted looms for sale on Ravelry Looms To Go sale thread, The detail are there.