Yes, I added on but found that this method of assembly really does take up a lot. It was barely enough but I decided to add a little more ease, just in case. Once cut you are committed and I can take up easier than let out on this project! So It will be another day before I cut.
Meantime the boobie prize for the Bunko was a hit last night. It ended in a 4 way tie for most losses so they rolled off. The winner seemed happy with her prize. I wove the napkin on the 14″ square and crocheted the edging to make it a bit fancier. The yarn is some nice acrylic in bright colors. I added a loaf of frosted cinnamon raisin bread. It was supposed to go into a bamboo bread basket but the basket proved too small for my husky loaf. Ah well..
I am assembling! If I were not already set on another path, I think this would make a very attractive baby blanket or light weight lap robe, maybe. But made great progress today, I believe. The bed is the only place I have that’s big enough to lay it all out. I got the rest of the strips to length, sorting though the skeins to find the needed colors. They don’t all transition smoothly but I’m satisfied.
Here’s the first bunch of strips sewn together. I really like the way it looks. This is the top, the public side.
And this is the bottom, the underneath. Either side would work but I like the textured side. And besides. I think the smooth side will be better next to me.
More coming! Edited to say: More needed! After sewing the entire thing together I find the seams have taken up a bit more than I figured on so I need to add about 5″. I think two more rows should do it. At least that’s where I am going to start. Pictures are pretty much the same but maybe show detail a bit more. It really is a pretty rainbow, in non-rainbow colors! did I mention that the colorway is called Calming Desert? I guess it’s supposed to be spring in the desert, which is probably timely, tho I haven’t seen spring in the desert in a couple years.
It truly looks like I am never going to be rich and famous as a blogger. I think those people have to be a little consistent about posting and I obviously am not. Ah well… I hope my 3 fans do enjoy it when I remember! lol I suppose it still counts if two of those are relatives?
But on to the topic of the day. The long in the making Shawl In A Ball project. Quite frankly I, like a lot of others, find assembling all these little squares at bit tedious on big projects so I remembered a male weaver who went to his sewing machine. I rather liked both the idea and the results so!
Remember all those little bags of squares? Got them all into strips in one morning. I think I have just about enough for the bodice of my top. Now I’ve gotten out my 12 inch square and am going to experiment with it for the sleeves. Once I think I have it all figured out it will be back to the machine. I guess I should show you how I’m doing it. I think you can see here. Back to back wrong sides together . This is going to make the total area smaller since it is using about 1/4″ on each side a s seam allowance but it goes ever so much faster and I like the texture it gives to this project. This is really not burlap which, I admit, it does resemble in this close-up. but I think you can see what I am doing.
Oh yeah, I had a helper, an inspector, on the job. He came down periodically to make sure I was staying on the job. This is Robin, he lives in the studio, mostly in his “tree” where he can watch to doings inside and out.
Well, I’m off to weave some 12″ squares. I’ll try to be a better blogger and post some progress a bit more often.