Just some thoughts about…

…how one might go about designing a project. I found a photo in my files, from a – is it called a boardwalk? Walkway? Anyway, something with walk in it, where designers show off their lastest ridiculous creations. This one is made up of diamonds and I think may have potential for something a person could actually wear. The hem could be left with the short flippy diamonds as I sketched in the left photo or cut flat into a normal hem. The diamonds are a little bit of fun. I didn’t much care for the flappy things on the bottom or the heavy cloggy shoes. I think she’s wearing a scarf with it, which could work but would not be necessary. Of course that may be the neck line/collar.

The next step would be deciding what size loom & yarn to use and then how many diamonds would you have to weave. I’d probably go wth the 7″ at first. The smaller one might actually be better for fitting but that would mean weaving a lot more of them! A light yarn, washable since it looks like a summer dress. Actually you could go thought your stash and use a variety of yarns, just keeping the washability the same. That would give it the feel of this designer dress in assorted prints. You could play with textures as well.

After that I’d do what I always do for clothing. Find my sewing pattern, the one that fits me and use it as a guide. I’m going to have to play with this! Not sure I have the figure for this sort of dress but on the other hand it could make a nice tunic as well.

What do you think?

      

I made this blouse, which was quite popular but sizing is tricky with the bigger looms. That’s where the smaller ones come in handy. I tried this with the Tumbling Block but, tho I got a fit, it was rather short and blocky. Not the same look at all. I tacked that antique collar on as it was kind of a dull color I thought it might add a bit of interest. By the way, that’s not a stain, that’s my shadow taking the photo. Do I pay attention to detail?! lol

This sketch has no figure shaping. I would be relying on the elasticity of the fabric for that, which could be a mistake! The first one also has a low neckline so the other one would be more like the original. The neckline could be easily adjusted, tho. Just some playing around. The arm skye on that 2nd one did not quite work out. ;-D

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s